Thanks to Matt Haughey of Metafilter.com, we are thrilled to be able to offer two full scholarships to MaxFunCon 2010! Scholarships will be awarded to one lady and one gentleman who apply. Each scholarship will cover the full cost of attendance, which includes accommodations, food, beverages, and all MaxFunCon activities at Lake Arrowhead.
In order to apply for a scholarship, you must meet all of the following criteria:
1. You have significant financial need. Specifically, it would be difficult or impossible for you to attend MaxFunCon 2010 if you did not receive a scholarship.
2. You are able to arrange your own transportation to and from Lake Arrowhead to attend MaxFunCon 2010.
3. You will be able to participate in the entire weekend-long conference. MaxFunCon begins –
4. 4 PM on Friday, May 7th and ends at 1 PM on Sunday, May 9th.
If you are interested in applying for a scholarship, send a short essay explaining why you want to go to MaxFunCon and why you need the scholarship. Essay instructions are as follows:
1. Email your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. In the subject line of your email, please write “Application” and indicate either “(Ladies)” or “(Gentlemen)” so we know which pool to place you in.
3. The essay should be included both as an attachment to your email in Microsoft Word format, and in the body of the email.
4. The essay must be no longer than 300 words. Essays longer than 300 words will not be read or considered.
5. Please include your phone number in the body of the email so that we can call you if needed.
Applications will be reviewed by a scholarship selection committee made up of 3-5 friends of TSOYA, Metafilter and MaximumFun.org. Members of the committee will each read all essay submissions and then work together to select one gentleman applicant and one lady applicant to receive this year’s scholarships. In making its selections, the committee will look for the following in the essays:
1. Applicant has significant financial need.
2. Applicant has outstanding desire to participate in MaxFunCon 2010.
Creativity is always appreciated, but please make sure your essay conforms to all the requirements outlined above in order to be considered.
With respect to financial need, in the initial application stage we are not requiring any supporting documentation (like bank statements or tax returns). Even so, you should be able to provide evidence to support any assertions you make in your essay about your financial circumstances. We may need to request supporting documentation once we start narrowing down the applications.
The deadline for scholarship applications is Friday, Feb. 26th.
We hope to select and notify the two recipients no later than Monday, March 8th.